I just had to write this post today – living life exhausted is no fun. I meet so many people on a daily basis who tell me that, as a matter of fact, they are absolutely and utterly exhausted – all the time. They can mostly manage their workdays, sometimes they last long enough to make an evening meal or to bathe themselves and the kids. But for them they have no energy left, none, zilch, zero. No life beyond duty. Is this a LIFE?
Most of us only think of energy when we’ve got none left. That’s not the way life is meant to be. It’s not okay to believe that at age 30 (or 40, or 50, or 60), the best you can do is watch TV or cruise the net after work, because you have no energy left. Get your priorities straight: you can only do as much as the energy you replenish – it’s not about time management. It’s about energy management. Energy doesn’t fall from heaven – you need to make it happen.
Energy management – it won’t happen unless you make it happen. A happy, healthy dog needs good, healthy food and plenty of water; a nice walk and playtime; a peaceful place for a snooze… What about you? Do you provide as much for yourself daily?
Energy 101 favourite tips – they are favourites because they are so obviously basics and because they WORK – as long you do them! (Remember that good intentions don’t work: only actions deliver results). These tips deliver RESULTS quickly and with minimal effort.
- Make more time for sleep – if this means not watching the evening news, so be it. No, they don’t relax you. No, the world won’t fall apart if you don’t watch the news. You need at least SEVEN hours of sleep, every night; catching up on weekends means you’re exhausted 5 days a week.
- Fuel yourself every day with good, healthy food – more fresh fruit and veggies, more lean protein, less of everything else. Pack a bag with oranges, baby carrots or tomatoes, black grapes, nuts and Greek yogurt. This is your fall-back emergency food – or your lunch or your breakfast…
- Take a lunch break – get out of your office. Go for a short walk. Get sunlight. Smell the roses. Even 10 minutes in polluted air works. Get out. You need light, movement and a change in mental landscape.
- Take a few deep breaths – air is free, breathe more! Stand tall, close your eyes; breathe in slowly for 5 seconds; hold 1-3 seconds; then breathe out for 5 seconds. Repeat for 3-5 more breaths – the extra oxygen boost and the quiet moment will give you and your brain fuel and focus.
- Do something inspiring, different and fun – every day. It doesn’t have to be long or hard to plan. Think of something simple – take a stroll and discover a new street, bike for 15 minutes after work, play a sport, dance, stop for tea on the way home… Join a meetup group and meet more people who think life can be fun and inspiring.
Read more: Manage your Energy, Not Your Time by Tony Scwhartz http://www.med.umich.edu/leadership/resources/Manage%20Your%20Energy%20Not%20Your%20Time.pdf
Start today! Refuel energy daily, and within a week, you’ll have more energy for life, more fun and feel so much happier!
A late afternoon half-hour paddle – so worth it!